Even if you hire a professional lawn care service, there are many things you can do to help ensure a healthy lawn of your own.
Lawn Maintenance Tips
- Know whether you are planting cool-season grasses or warm-season grasses.
- Rake in the spring to remove thatch, leaves, and other debris that has accumulated over the winter.
- Inspect your lawn regularly for mole and insect damage.
- Reseed dead patches. Rake the area to loosen up the dead grass and allow the area to dry. Then reseed and apply some light fertilizer.
- Properly prune shrubs and trees to let in sun and allow for proper air circulation.
- Make sure your lawnmower blades are sharp
- Don’t throw out or burn leaves and grass clippings. Start a compost pile so you can have free mulch any time.
- Mow to the proper height: keep blades set at 2-1/2″ to 3″, never cut off more than 1/3 of the blades of grass and try to mow in the morning, late afternoon or evening when it’s cooler.
- Clean out any dead plants, weeds, and leaves that have built up in your flower beds over the winter and add a fresh layer of compost.
- Rake in any debris that was pushed onto your yard from snow plows.
Seasonal Lawncare Services: Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What should I expect after an application?
A. You will begin to notice some cupping and curling of the weeds within two to three days. It will take approximately four weeks for your weeds to disappear completely.
Q. It rained 15-20 minutes after my application; is this OK?
A. All fertilizers will need to be watered. It’s also helpful to water after an application of insect control as this will water it into the thatch and root zone where insects like to call home. Pre-emergent crabgrass control works best when watered in. Liquid weed controls, once dried, should be fine. Once a liquid application is dry, the weed control has entered the weed and has already begun to take effect. Remember, our treatment programs are guaranteed to work so, if you should ever have a concern, please contact our office.
Q. How long should I wait to mow my lawn after an application?
A. Waiting 24-48 hours before mowing will give you the best results.
Q. Should I bag the clippings when I mow my lawn?
A. Returning clippings evenly to the lawn (no heavy clumping) returns valuable nutrients to the lawn.
Q. How soon after an application can my children and/or pets enter the lawn?
A. It is recommended that people and pets stay off the lawn until the treatment is dry. We would prefer you limit your activity for 24 hours to allow the applications time to dry.
Q. Are your products safe for my children and pets?
A. The products Seasonal Lawncare uses are safer than most common household products. It is a much safer and more cost-effective method than doing it yourself.
Q. Do I have to be at home when you come to do a treatment?
A. No. The technician will leave an invoice along with any important information and/or instructions regarding your treatment, such as watering, mowing, observations and concerns.
Q. When is payment due?
A. Payment is due upon receipt of the treatment and invoice (unless you prepaid at the beginning of the season). You have 30 days to pay to avoid scheduling delays. After 30 days a minimum late charge of $6 will be added to your account.
Q. Do you guarantee your services?
A. Absolutely! Our treatment programs come with guaranteed results. If you ever have a concern, a Seasonal Lawncare manager is available to address the concern at no charge – typically 24 to 48 hours after receiving the call.
Q. Can I seed after a treatment?
A. With a fertilizer or insect treatment, seeding can be done immediately. Pre- and post-emergent weed treatments will restrict seeding for 3 to 12 weeks, according to label instructions.
Q. Does Seasonal offer an organic program?
A. Yes, we do! Our organic program has the same timing as our non-organic program. We use the highest-quality organic-based fertilizer (please note that organic fertilizers do not kill weeds). Organic applications are applied in liquid and granular form at the same price as our non-organic programs. Please contact us for more information.